Wednesday, October 27, 2010

DIY Goodness: DVF Inspired Floral Hair Pins

I'm a sucker for hair candy. So falling for these ultra femme Diane Von Furstenberg hair pins was a no brainer. Von Furstenberg's hair candy gives off a regal Grecian vibe mixed with a playful punch that's right up my alley! - With a few basic supplies on hand, I decided to take the concept and put my spin on it. 

The project took about an hour to complete and came out pretty nice. They weren't DVF, but they were amazing nonetheless. Floral hair-pins are extremely versatile in that they can spruce up a bad hair day or add the perfect touch to a TWA!
DVF Inspired Floral Hair-Pins
You Will Need:
  • 3 Different colors of scrap fabric
  • Scissors
  • Glue Gun
  • Blank Snap-On Hair Clips [purchased these at Joann's in the jewelry supply isle]
  • Needle/Thread
  • Hand drawn flower pattern [or I am sure you can locate a pattern like this one]
Prep your materials:
 I just drew a basic flower, nothing fancy!

1] Draw your "floral stencil" on a sturdy sheet of paper [I used an old manila file folder]
Here is my stencil pinned to the fabric
cut out 8 of each color

2] Cut out stencil. Pin your stencil to the fabric and cut out 8 flowers in each color 
I used the base of a glass to make this circle

3] Make a circle about 1 inch wide on a sturdy sheet of paper 
4] Pin your stencil to the fabric and cut out 8 individual circles in two of the three colors 

Assemble the floral hair pins [each cluster uses 4 of each color]:
1] Stagger 8 [use four of each color] flowers on top of each other so that they slightly overlap 
2] Fold the entire floral group in half, and secure with a few stitches
3] Fold that same floral group in half once more, then secure it with a few more stitches. Make sure to use sharp scissors, I used my daughter's craft scissors and the ends weren't as crisp as I would have liked.

4] Repeat the same instructions for the second set of floral headpins 

Assemble the second set of floral hair pins [each cluster uses 4 of each color]:
To make the rosette clusters, follow the instructions given in my previous tutorial {here}

Assemble the entire group: 
1] Glue each group on a separate hair pin with a hot glue gun

2] Pin them on your hair!

That's it! Here is the finished product! 


Follow MTM on Twitter | Add MTM on Bloglovin'Like MTM on Facebook 

30 comments:

  1. OMgosh! I love this. I'm not crafty but I think I will definitely give this a try.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute!! and your skin is amazing!!!OMG!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative. ♥ your site!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh... this is great! thanks for the tutorial. i have a bag full of scrap fabric that i need to use up.

    kendra
    http://closetconfections.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Even tho I love the hair clips,and the style is very cute, I couldn't help but notice how thick, shiny and wavy your braid-out is in these pics!! I'm luving the look!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too cute! You inspire me to want to try more DIY's and thrift more, rather than shelling out money all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your creativity is awesome. Go girl. One of my top Bloggers. Did a little feature of you on my blog. http://allthatisfab.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog, your story and were you are going keep it up. http://allthatisfab.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nikole, Where did u get this necklace from? I want something like that but with my name on it.
    You look fab as usual...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute Nikole and your hair looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great idea so cute!!

    jen
    http://blankwhiteframes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look so pretty. It is nice to see you in photos with your hair pulled back. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. iLove it. I feel like trying this with some tribal materials I have in my room. Your hair's so illustrious in these photos lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great nails!!!

    Regards,
    Natasha

    http://healthcareindustrynews.pipeno.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. SOOO CUTE!!! you did a wonderful job with these!

    love your DIY ideas!


    thegrandduchy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. this looks great. i've been waiting for another DIY post from you! definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the rose sare cute...but that HAIR....GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for posting this great DIY project! I will definitely be trying this!

    http://theluxestandard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. omg omg omg I'm gonna make one.. :) I need something to spruce up my hair for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love your diy styles!! and im geeked to try this out!!

    missdeeplyrooted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a GREAT tutorial, I'm on my way to Michael's NOW!

    http://www.naturalbecomesher.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nikole, you are incredibly creative!!! I love your hair with the floral hairpins. Absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. super creative...we have so much in common :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these. I don't have the patience to make them myself:(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks again. I am a very non-crafty person but you are inspirational. You can see my version here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/acedout/sets/72157625304149628/

    I look forward to trying the ruffled shirt next!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH my goodness, did you do something special on this day?! Your hair looks SO shiny and soft!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails