Friday, November 26, 2010

Quicktip: Experiencing Breakage? Try Out These Super Herbs For A Natural Fix

 [source]

When I first started my healthy hair journey, my hair was breaking like crazy. Every time I would comb, brush, or style my hair, there would be tiny little broken hairs on my shirt, bathroom counter, and floor. At that time I tried heavy protein treatments [which caused some shedding], as well as hair creams specifically formulated to control breakage [which resulted in dryness].  - A few months later I began to dabble in herbal remedies, and I was hooked on Herbal Rinsing! 

Herb rinsing can be done by steeping herbs in hot water, letting the water cool, then pouring it over your head after rinsing out your conditioner. You can do herbal rinses to add shine, softness, nourishment, elasticity, and my favorite; to control breakage. Here's a list of my favorite [and extremely effective] herbs you can use for herb rinsing:

Breakage                                                                                                                                                     
Burdock Root: This herb is known to strengthen and repair hair while adding sheen, hydration & luster. Burdock Root is also effective in reversing hair loss, correcting scalp issues, and promoting hair growth in individuals with a short growth cycle. The mucilage in Burdock Root also helps add "slip" to your hair making the detangling process a lot easier.

Rosemary: The nutrients found in Rosemary can strengthen your strands much like that of a protein treatment, minus the drying effects. Rosemary also imparts shine, body and softness. This super herb also helps to correct scalp issues like dandruff and psoriasis.

Blue Malva: Is one of my favorite herbs to use for strengthening and repairing hair. Blue Malva is extremely effective in controlling breakage, and repairing chemically damaged hair.

Hibiscus: Hibiscus strengthens hair from the papila root to the ends of the hair, and works to seal the cuticles stopping breakage in it's tracks. Hibiscus is also loaded with mucilage which means it is very effective as a detangling agent for highly textured curlies. This herbs also adds an incredible amount of softness and body to both relaxed and natural hair. **Hibiscus can stain clothes, so use caution when attempting a rinse with this herb**

Shine + Softness + Body                                                                                                                            
Horsetail: Horsetail contains high amounts of silica and cysteine which are both great at conditioning hair, whilst adding shine and body. The silica found in Horsetail also helps to strengthen the hair and improving the elasticity as well.

Nettle: Nettle is rich in nourishing minerals that work to strengthen hair, add luster, and impart softness. This herb also stimulates circulation which in turns promotes hair growth.

Coltsfoot: Coltsfoot contains an abundance of mucilage, minerals, silica, sulfur and plant proteins which all work together to help add sheen, body, repair the hair shaft, improve elasticity, and promote hair growth.

Split Ends                                                                                                                                                   
Burdock Root
Horsetail
Nettle
Hibiscus

Directions:
- Add 1 cup of water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil 
- Turn off heat and add 2 heaping teaspoons of your herbs to the water << For best results, use herbs that have been cut and sifted [these are usually labeled as C/S on packing and websites], as they contain more essential ingredients and are usually easier to use in comparison to powdered herbs. 
- Cover saucepan and allow herbal infusion to steep for about 15-20 minutes
- Remove the herbs, or strain through a fine sieve or cheesecloth
- Let cool
- Pour entire mixture over your hair after rinsing out conditioner
- Do not rinse out, any smell from herbs should dissipate after about 20 minutes  

How often should I do an herbal rinse?                                                                                                  
For best results, use once weekly [or as often as you shampoo].

Where to purchase herbs?                                                                                                                        
You may purchase these herbs at your local Health Food Store, or online through the following reputable vendors:

Follow MTM on Twitter | Add MTM on Bloglovin'Like MTM on Facebook 

17 comments:

  1. I was actually just searching for a herbal remedy for hair breakage, I'm having serious issues with mine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI
    Does Blue Malva have another name? I checked all 3 sites you suggested with no luck to the name Blue Malva, I am wondering is their another name from its original origin? Please let me know. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue Malva can be found here: https://anitagrant.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=35&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=41

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I will have to try this out since I too am experiencing the same type of breakage.

    Jen
    http://blankwhiteframes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I ordered all of these herbs (plus a few more) from Anita Grant a few months ago. I've been making spritzes with them but will try the rinses now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would it be okay if I just made regular tea, let it steep, and cool as described above or do I have to have regular herbs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can this be done after a co-wash?
    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love blog and thank you for all the wonderful information. LLP~OGC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this! I've been looking for natural ways to combat breakage other than serious protein treatments.

    I was wondering, have you ever tried a Black tea rinse? I hear that can help stop breakage as well, but I'm not really sure how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey,
    I like this post.Can you say something about traction alopecia.It's a quiet and hidden epedemic experienced in black women community.
    I have been struggling with mine for the past year.I have tried many products from castor oil to all kinds of oils.
    Any great suggestion about this issue will be much appreciated.
    By the day I love your blog. keep doing your things.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. how do you store these herbs and prevent any ... ah pests from getting to them, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you combine different herbs in one rinse? When yes: what do you combine?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is great to know that I'm not the only one whose hair breaks off that much. I'm definitely going to try this. By the the time I'm finished doing my hair, my bathroom looks so gross due to all the hair shed. :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This isn't about the hair...any idea where to get those earrings that the model is wearing?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So can I mix the herbs to get multiple results or will that mess up the way the herbs work?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all of the wonderful info Nicole! It's a wonderful starting point for my herbal journey. Just FYI, I was able to order the Blue Malva from botanical.com (it was unavailable at anitagrant.com when I looked) and it says that it is processed by Mountain Rose Herbs. Also, From Nature with Love offers a lot of different recipes for Herbal rinses for those looking to experiment. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry Nikole. I hate it when people misspell my name...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails