Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tried Every Moisturizing Product Under The Sun And Your Hair Is Still Dry? Read On...

 [source]

Do you find that you are moisturizing your hair religiously to no avail? It may not be the products you are using, the issue could instead lie in the porosity level of your hair. The porosity level determines how well your hair is able to absorb and retain moisture within the cortex, and overly porous hair can have a hard time retaining moisture from even the best moisturizing products. Lack of moisture isn't the only drawback to having overly porous hair, hair that is highly porous also absorbs heat faster than hair with low or normal porosity levels which means your hair is more prone to heat damage.

What can cause porosity issues? Improper thermal straightening techniques, excessive heat [from blow dryers, flat irons, curling irons, pressing combs etc], relaxers, and color applications. 

How will I know if I have porosity issues? Hair may appear straw-like and dry even after moisturizing. Hair may also have a tendency to air dry faster than normal. Hair may often feel "rough" to the touch. Hair may also be prone to excessive tangles and matting even though your ends are trimmed. Still not sure? Take the porosity test: Rub your fingers up a few strands of hair from end to root, if it feels rough, or bumpy, chances are you have raised or lifted cuticles which can also indicate issues with porosity [porosity issues stem from damaged cuticle layers]. Hair that has low or normal porosity levels should feel smooth up and down the hair shaft.

I am natural, can I use products geared towards correcting porosity? The answer is YES! If you use pressing combs, flat irons, and/or blow dryers you are susceptible to porosity issues. - Also as some of us age, certain hormonal changes take place that may also affect the density, texture and porosity of your hair.

How to correct issues with porosity?

Roux Porosity Control $12.99-15oz : Porosity Control works by depositing protein that binds to holes and gaps along the cuticle, Porosity Control also corrects the PH balance of the hair. On-going treatments are recommended to help reinforce the cuticle layer for severely damaged hair.
To use: Shampoo hair and lightly towel dry with a microfiber towel, apply about 1/8 cup of Porosity Control, and sit for about 3-5 minutes. Rinse out the porosity control with cold water*, and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner [since porosity has temporarily been corrected, hair is in it's optimal state to receive and retain nutrients/moisture] for another 25-30 minutes [with plastic cap].  
You can find Porosity Control at most if not all Sally's Beauty Supply Stores

*Why rinse in cold water? This closes the cuticles [raised cuticles is a major culprit in regards to frizz], which seals in nutrients from your conditioner, seals in moisture, and also imparts an incredible amount of shine.

Apple Cider Vinegar: Conditioning treatments that cater to the needs of those with overly porous hair [these products will be marketed as conditioner for "color treated hair"] are usually on the acidic side. Since Apple Cider Vinegar is also midly acidic, it is a cheaper alternative to pricey conditioners. Apple Cider vinegar works the same in that it temporarily constricts the cuticles correcting porosity levels.
To use: Take 1/3 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar and add it to 2-3 cups of cool Distilled water, use this mixture as a final rinse [do not rinse out], for shiny, tangle and frizz free hair.

Roux Fermodyl 619 Extra Strength $8.49 for 3 vials: If you press/relax/or color your hair regularly; I suggest you incorporate this into your regimen [once monthly]. Fermodyl helps correct porosity and elasticity issues, and is specially formulated for coarse, and curly hair. Because Fermodyl is formulated with Lactic Acid, it also makes detangling a breeze, which can help cut down on damage from combing!  
To use: Towel dry hair with a microfiber towel or t-shirt. Section your hair into four sections, and apply Fermodyl to each section prior to applying your leave in. I would use one vial for my entire head.
You can find Fermodyl at most if not all Sally's Beauty Supply stores. 

20 comments:

  1. Is is a good practice to use these methods even if you don't suffer from porosity issues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reding your post, I definitely realize my hair is highly porous. I'm going to try your porosity corrections this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it may also be that if your hair is dry/dull/hard even after adding product, you have product build-up from layering on several product applications without really cleaning your hair. this can often happen if you co-wash a lot or use moisturizing shampoos. correction for this is to use a clarifying shampoo that can truly get your strands clear of cones/waxes/dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks I want to buy Roux and give it a try. I stopped cowashing or washing so frequently as I felt that it was overdrying my hair. This week I managed to retwist and style my hair without having to rinse. I'm so proud but this moptop lol has to be cleansed tomorrow stat!

    www.lipstickmanual.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I have just started reading your blog and I have to say I am soooo impressed! I check it everday AND I made Chicken Florintine for my husband last weekend and he LOVED it!!!!! Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Aunt uses it in her salon, and has been for sometime now. It's really strange that you don't really hear about these types of products very often, since a lot of people are wearing wigs and weaves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this. This is my current problem with my hair; I cant find anything to keep it moisturized. When I do find something, it's too sticky/oily. I will try your advice.

    And I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that your blog isn't just you and your beautiful pictures/fashion/hair but that you are truly helping people take care of their hair! I have gotten so many tips from you after following for only 2 weeks, I'm like, where was I when I could have been looking at your blog all through transitioning! I hope you know what a big impact you have on people!

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you use the apple cider rinse, do you put it in before moisture, sealant and styling product, or at the very end, after styling product?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your site and even though I do not use heat at all nor do I color my hair or use other chemicals my hair can never stay moisturized. I wash weekly because I have too (my scalp absolutely needs to be cleasned(sp) weekly)I am going to try your methods to see if that will help any thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have no idea how helpful you have been for me. I am considering giving relaxers a break for awhile to try something. Thank you so much for your tips!! I'll be sure to spread the word about your blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I borrowed a tip from you and tried coloured hair shampoo in my hair... ah-may-zing! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have any alternative products if Roux isn't sold in our area?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mind Reader. I was touching and looking at the hair in front of my hair like WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!? Thanks for this, I am going to try these treatments. Thank you mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carmel Treatment by Etae, has vinegar, molasses, olive oil, bananas, and is all natural. Very good for the hair.

    Kinky Kurly Gloss Pomade, amazing oil for pressed hair, keeps it moist.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are truly heaven sent. My hair is very dry and brittle. I was having so many problems with breakage and matting that I decided to do a BC. My hair is as short as Solange's was when she first cut it off. I am going to try the ACV rinse in hopes that it will help me to retain moisture.

    I absolutely love your blog and just want to thank you for sharing the wealth of information that you provide on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I know why my hair was breaking off so bad. Thanks for the tips! This will prevent me from going back to some bad hair practices that I really didn't even know I was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can you also use Aphogee to correct this or would it be too much?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I henna my hair for colour and i started a aturvedisch regimen. But my hair is very dry, especially my ends. I think my hair is highly porous . what can i do best> use ACv as a final rinse after my ayurvedisch treatments weekly or go for the Fermodyl porosity control/Roux 619?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can I use the fermodyl 619 for dry and coarse hair too?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails