Monday, January 18, 2010

Overnight Ayurvedic Pre-Poo Treatment - The Pictorial


You Will Need:
1/4 Cup Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner
1/4 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
1 Tablespoon Brahmi Powder
1 Tablespoon Neem Powder
1 Tablespoon Methi Powder

- Gloves
- Plastic Cap
- Applicator Brush
- Silk Scarf  


***this pre-poo treatment has a potent "herbal" smell, just an fyi to those with sensitive sniffers!***

Why Should You Pre-Poo?


Simply put, using shampoo [especially shampoo's formulated with sulfates] strips the hair of it's natural oils [sebum]. Sebum is very important because it plays a vital role in protecting the protein structure of the hair. Doing a Pre-Poo/Pre-Shampoo Treatment preps the hair by adding moisture, therefore minimizing [in most cases eliminating] the harsh effects of shampoo.
About These Ingredients;

Coconut Oil - Strengthens Hair at the Root - Moisturizes Hair & Scalp - Purported to Aid in Hair Growth - Rich in Minerals

Coconut Milk - Strengthens Hair at the Root - Coconut Milk Contains Proteins, so it can Help Prevent/Stop Hair Breakage. Nourishes Scalp with Minerals. Purported to Aid in Hair Growth, & Stop Hair Loss.

Brahmi Powder - Strengthens Hair at the Root - Stimulates Hair Growth - Imparts Shine & Sleekness to Hair -

Neem Powder - Acts as an Antibacterial Agent & Prevents Dandruff - Imparts Shine

Methi Powder - Restores the Hair Shaft - Strengthens Hair at the Root - Purported to Aid in Hair Growth - Moisturizes Hair & Scalp

  Add Herbs To Bowl

Add Conditioner

Add Coconut Milk

Then Coconut Oil

MIX WELL
[Because I added oils and excess liquids to a water based conditioner, this formulation will not completely emulsify. It is ok if you have some separation as pictured above. ]

I add this mixture to DAMP HAIR using an applicator brush, and to ensure even distribution, I work it through my hair using my hands. Once the Pre-Poo treatment is added to my entire head, I put my hair in a loose bun, put on a plastic cap, then my silk scarf, and it's off to bed!   

I rinse my hair in the morning [it usually takes about 2 rinses to get rid of any residue], shampoo, condition, and style as usual. My hair feels MUCH softer, stronger, and my issues with elasticity and porosity are corrected after using this mixture. I like to alternate between commercial products [for the convenience], and homemade mixtures.

5 comments:

  1. Whats your results of using this method? Are these hennas that you are using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @FitChiq - The Brahmi, Neem, and Methi powder are all herbs. You can find these herbs in your local Indian Grocery store, or online through Amazon. The Coconut Milk, and Coconut Oil can all be found in your regular local grocery store. I typically find the Coconut Milk in the "ethnic section" where the Asian and Hispanic foods are. The Coconut Oil is next to all the other cooking oils, but is usually on the bottom shelf.

    When I use this method, my hair is stronger, has tons of sheen, and shedding is reduced drastically. Because Coconut Milk acts as a temporary "relaxer", detangling is also easy as well. Any issues with porosity, and elasticity may also be corrected as a result of this treatment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you keep your pillow cases from becoming soiled? I love a over night prepoo but they are messy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how often do u apply these treatment, and by the way, your hair is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a substitute for the coconut milk? I'm super scared of protein. My hair absolutely hates it. I believe coconut milk is light in protein, however a substitute would be awesome. BTW this is my first post. I love your blog... and that's saying quite a bit, seeing as how I sloop do not do blogs. I've learned a bit in this 3 days of following you. Keep it up! -*-* Adesuwa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails