Friday, January 15, 2010

Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding Review


For the past month or so, I've been using Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding for my braid-outs/twist-outs, and roller-sets. I feel all kinds of funny even typing this because the first time I tried Miss Jessie's CP, I hated it. Not only did I hate it, I wanted to throw it across the room because I felt as though I was duped. Big time.

However that's neither her nor there; I decided to revisit Miss Jessie's, partly out of desperation [hey I'm being honest], and second out of the curiosity to experiment with how the application of a product can have a major effect on the outcome of a style.

I have yet to try this product with a wash and go, but I can definitely vouch for it aiding me in twisting, braiding, and setting my hair on flexi-rods. So here's the skinny:


Ingredients: water, parafinium liquidum, glycerin, triethanolamine, fragrance, carbomer, PEG-12 dimethicone, dipropylene glycol, silk amino acids, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, avocado oil, shea butter, sweet almond oil, jojoba seed oil, macademia seed oil, oleth05, ethylhexyl methoxycinnanate, disodium EDTA, DMDM hydantion, ext. violet 2



The Good:
  • You can try the 2oz size of this stuff before you buy it ($7). This worked for me because I read so many negative reviews on Miss Jessie's, that I couldn't justify shelling out $22 (8oz) or $38 (16oz) on some product that would take up permanent residence under my bathroom sink should it fail me.
  • This creates the most defined twist-outs/braid-outs and roller-sets out of any product I have used to date. Not only does it create defined styles, but it does so without the crunchy/flaky/dulling effect most products that boast hold leave behind. 
  •  When used sparingly [key word here], Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding does give me soft, shiny, defined styles.  And as and added bonus, the sheen, softness, and definition lasts for days.
  • It is available on ground which is good for me, there is nothing worse than finding a product that works, and not have it readily accessible.  
  • Since it is more of an established brand, I don't have to worry as much about product variation from batch to batch.
The Ugly:
  • Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding is somewhat costly compared to other "curl creams" or "puddings". 
  • Sometimes finding the right amount of product to use without the crunchy/flaky results I mentioned earlier can take a little bit of trial and error. 
  • The ingredients in this product are far from superior, & this is one of the major drawbacks of Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding.  For those ladies that equate price with products that are filled with ingredients that have "label appeal", the ingredient list will leave much to be desired. 
  • The smell is intense. It smells of some sort of candy; if that's not your thing, they have Unscented Curly Pudding
Tips for Using Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding:
  • Don't use the recommended amount [a half-lid to lid full], I have found that this is entirely too much. Use no more than the amount that can fit on the tip of your finger for each section of hair you are going to braid/twist or set on rollers. 
  • Use a creamy leave-in prior to applying Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding
  • Set the style with a hooded dryer [For some reason this product works brilliant when used with heat] 
Restock?
  • For now yes, however this is only until I find a product that works just as well with better ingredients. The idea of slathering mineral oil on my hair every-week doesn't necessarily help me sleep better at night. Although the curls look pretty yummy though.

    3 comments:

    1. .

      THOUGHTS ON THE “MISS JESSIE’S” PRODUCT LINE:

      1)The “MISS JESSIE’S” products USE MINERAL OIL
      & PETROLATUM (both of which damage both
      hair & skin) AS two of the KEY INGREDIENTS

      2) Titi & Miko – THE OWNER’S of the “Miss Jessie’s”
      product line (AND most of THE CLIENTS they choose
      to photograph) -- achieve their hair-styles because
      they USE what they call a ”Silkener”' (which is simply
      a mild relaxer / texturizer & made of CHEMICALS).

      3) The same results can be achieved for a fraction of
      the cost by going to a store and purchasing / applying
      the same dangerous (ex. relaxer / texturizer) as well
      as damaging (ex. mineral oil / petrolatum) products.

      4) People should save their money (and hair) by avoiding
      the cheaply-made / expensively-sold products (such as
      the ”Miss Jessie’s” line) that contain worthless and
      harmful ingredients such as mineral oil / petrolatum
      and / or are “chemically-dependent” to achieve results.

      5) The Owners of the 'Miss Jessie's' product line appear
      to be no more inclined to reveal that their own hair
      (and that of the hair of the majority of the clients
      that are posted on their website ) has been "silkened"
      (i.e. chemically-processed) than they are to admit that
      two (2) of the main ingredients contained in their hair
      products are 'mineral oil' ("liquidum parrafinum") and
      petrolatum -- and actually try to downplay both facts.

      6) Meanwhile women found all over the US and
      Canada continue to unwittingly dole out a ton of
      money for a product which is essentially now the
      equivalent of taking a melted jar of ‘Blue Magic
      Hair Dressing’ or ‘Johnson’s Baby Oil’ and mixing
      it with a bottle of ‘Suave Instant Conditioner'

      (OK -- maybe the Blue Magic/Johnson’s / Suave comment
      is a stretch –- but -- one hopes that the point is still taken
      ... when it comes to ‘ethnic’ or ‘naturally-textured’ hair’
      -- Miss Jessie’s simply “misses the mark” entirely.) =D

      .

      ReplyDelete
    2. @AP: AMEN! I just wrote a whole blog post on Miss Jessie's b.s.! www.nubiantresses.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love these products for wash and gos. I am going to try roller setting with the curly pudding. Wish me luck!

      Tonya Moore

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts with Thumbnails