Monday, April 12, 2010

DIY Vintage Inspired Hair Candy

I scored tons of cheapie applique's and I wanted to put them to good use; so pardon me in advance because I am about to inundate all of you with DIY's that consist of applique's and the various uses for them [smile]. This time around, I turned an ordinary headband [purchased from the dollar store] into a flapper vintage inspired headband. The kicker is that it was fun, and super easy to do. Did I mention throwing on a headband is also a good way to salvage a bad hair day?


You can use any type of applique for this project. Since I was going for more of a vintage feel, I leaned for "bridal" applique's. Use whatever you like, or whatever you happen to have on hand. Applique's can be purchased from stores like Joann's & Michael's although you will find more of a variety in a bigger fabric store.

You Will Need:
1 Headband [Preferably a wide one]
2 Applique's
Glue Gun
Coordinating Fabric [Just enough to cover your headband] This fabric will show, so use something that coordinates somewhat with your applique's.

As you can see I used two applique's. I used a "softer" applique to actually lay across the headband, and a larger stiffer applique to act as the centerpiece.

Cut two 16" strips of fabric this will be used to cover your headband. Add a dab of glue to the end of your headband.
Attach your fabric to the glue, and begin to wrap the fabric around the headband neatly. Use the second strip of fabric if needed. To secure the fabric to the ends of the headband, glue it down using your glue gun.


Begin gluing your applique's to the headband. The placement is totally up to you. Remember to cut all frayed pieces, and threads to give it more of a polished look.

A close up of the detail! 
 
The finished product! These pics don't do it justice! 
 

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I'm a crocheter so Michael's is one of my fav stores. I'm not much of a DIY project-gurl, but this looks like fun. And I'm newly natural and have been playing w/many hair accessories. May have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks gorgeous and this headband makes it stand out even more. I love it, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Does it also work for stretchy type headbands? These are more comfortable for me if I'm wearing them for a while. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so nice. I wish I was as skilled as you are with a needle and thread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing! I love headbands, so i'm definitely going to head over to the craft store to get materials to make my own. thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So.... when are you going to put this on sale so I can buy one?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I really need to start making some headbands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Nikki! LOL ...soon? I would love to if I had more time :-/

    @Afroniquely You Thank You! You definitely should!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ms. Princess I wish I could crochet [what I do shouldn't even be considered crocheting], it's always fun to play w/accessories when you are newly natural!!! Heck at any point even!

    @Danyelle Thank You!!!

    @Olivia Thank you very much! It's the Komaza I think! LOL

    @Moni It does indeed! It works on anything you can adhere applique's to!

    @NappturallyNigerian Thank You :-D

    @Dana Nicole Thank you! Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gurl you do enough DIY projects to put my little crocheting to shame! If I could exchange talents w/you, I definitely would! LOL Let's make a deal: I'll send you a blanket and a nice Winter hat/scarf set, you send me one of those delicious meals & desserts, a few of your DIY headbands and earrings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails