This is probably the most asked question on this site. "How did you do that look...." - If you want BIG [yet defined hair] listen up:
- Make BIG CHUNKY braids or twists: I used about 8 twists on each side.
- Smooth the hair out before braiding or twisting: I use a denman brush for this. Make sure your hair is properly detangled prior to smoothing with a brush.
- Use a leave-in conditioner: Preferably a stellar one, you want something that is going to leave your hair uber soft. A cheap oldie but goodie is my Paul Mitchell The Conditioner [which is what I used] - A good "homegrown" mixture for ladies with super kinky hair is a mixture of Aveda Damage Remedy and Water. Leaves your hair soft for days.
- Use a minimal amount of product that is not BUTTER BASED, I have found that butter based products will weigh my hair down, more than a product like Miss Jessie's.
- Leave the braids/twists in until 85-90% DRY. You want it slightly damp, because as it dries, the hair will S W E L L. Trust. So finger style gently, and allow your hair to naturally do it's thing!