Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Granola Bars!

I have never really been a fan of granola bars. Matter of fact, I remember sneering at them whenever I would open my lunch pail and find that sawdust-like bar patiently waiting for me. Needles to say, I tossed them. Years later, I tasted a real homemade granola bar, and my affinity towards them grew.

I found a really simple recipe online, and I decided to give it a shot. I like my Granola a little on the sweet side, so I used a bit more sugar. The recipe is very flexible, as long as you keep the proper proportions, the recipe should be totally fool-proof. I went ahead and added a few extras like sweet Coconut Flakes, and a dash of Lemon Extract to my batch to give it a bit of a kick.

You can also add things like Wheat Germ, Kosher Salt, [for that sweet & salty taste]Walnuts, and even chocolate chips! Make them as healthy or as un-healthy as you like..lol

I used a bag of dried fruit I picked up from the Farmer's Market, and I used the Orange Honey as well. I love the subtle "orange-y" flavor peeking through the bars, maybe next time I will use a bit more.

These were definitely a hit! I will make them again, and maybe even play around with the recipe by putting them in a smaller pan to make them super thick, and reducing the cook time to make them really chewy.

These Granola Bars freeze really well which is also a plus [so you can have tons @ the ready]. You can make some for the kids to grab on the way to school [I promise these won't get tossed in the garbage], or for an after school snack.


Easy Granola Bars! from Nikole Crowe on Vimeo.

 Granola Bars - Adapted from King Arthur's Flour
 ** This recipe calls for "Sticky Bun Sugar" which I did not use. You can use Sugar instead of the Sticky Bun Sugar.

1 2/3 cups quick rolled oats
1 cup + 2 tablespoons Sticky Bun Sugar 
1/3 cup granulated sugar, optional <--- I used this instead of Sticky Bun Sugar 
1/3 cup oat flour (or 1/3 cup quick oats, processed till finely ground in a food processor or blender) 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional <--- I omitted this from the recipe 
2 to 3 cups dried fruits and nuts <---- I added all fruit 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract - <--- I omitted this from the recipe  
1/4 cup melted butter  
1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or corn syrup <----I used Orange Honey 
2 Tablespoons of Light Corn Syrup  
1 Tablespoon of water
Preheat oven to 350, and line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper, lightly grease parchment paper, and the portion of the pan that is exposed. [Note: If you want thicker bars, use a smaller pan]

Mix all of your dry ingredients together, set aside.

Mix all of your wet ingredients, and add them to the dry ingredients.

Mix until evenly crumbly, then pour into baking pan.

Use a piece of Saran Wrap to gently press down your mixture, as it should be even.

Place Granola in oven for about 30-40 minutes. Set out to cool on a baking rack for about 30 minutes, then cut into squares with a sharp serrated knife.

Wrap bars individually to store; or place in a single layer on a plate, and cover with plastic; or store in layers with parchment in between. In humid weather, it's best to store bars in the refrigerator. 


11 comments:

  1. I would have omitted the sugar & lemon honey considering the dried fruits are a concentrated source of sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to make granola for a while now, but the "loose" granola, so I could sprinkle it over yogurt or eat in my cereal. Yours turned out great!

    -Seygra20 the sugar is used as a binder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know when you decide to ship your delicious confections. That is all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOAAAA!! These are serious, you could easily cut wrap and sell these... damn woman what do u not do? loll...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I referred your blog to some friends.... =}

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy perfection... you got it going on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE granola! I will definitely have to try this soon =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Seygra20 Yup! Miss Tasha is right - Although you may be able to use things that are a bit healthier!

    @Miss Tasha Great idea actually, I may have to try that next time. That's actually a much better option vs buying that stuff in stores that feels like I am breaking off chunks of teeth! LOL

    @BeautyXchangeGirl HA! I think I need a bit more practice first!

    @Tina Thanks Tina!

    @Olivia Thank you! Maybe we can swap food for makeup lessons??? LOLL

    @Encourage and Uplift Thank You! They were yummy, and they are almost gone :-/

    @Sarai It is too easy not to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The granola looks so good! Question- did you use any light corn syrup or did u substitute all the corn syrup for honey?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @natstar Thank you! I used about 2 tablespoons of light corn syrup in addition to the honey :-D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails