There are two things that every girl must remember as she is transitioning; (1) Protein and (2) Moisture. Having a harmonious moisture/protein balance is critical in the transitioning process.
Protein is very important because as you receive chemical services [such as relaxers], it breaks down the protein bonds in your hair and reduces the amount of elasticity causing it to be susceptible to breakage. I want to also point out that services such as color, and improper thermal treatments [pressing, flat-ironing, curling etc], can also result in the damage of protein bonds [and the damage from these treatments can mirror those of damage from a relaxer]. Protein is key in helping to minimize, and even prevent breakage at the line of demarcation [the area where your new growth, meets chemically treated hair].
Moisture is equally as important for growth retention, and to prevent breakage from the amount of protein you are using on your hair. Too much protein and not enough moisture is a surefire way to get a free room at heartbreak hotel. I would suggest alternating between a moisturizing conditioner and a protein conditioner weekly.
Here are some of my fav products that are great for transitioners, people with color damaged hair, and even heat damaged hair. I love these because they actaually live up to their claims!
- Lanza Leave-In Protector - Product Claims: An advanced protein-rich formula specifically designed to build and maintain strength in hair that has been weakened from over-exposure to the elements or chemicallt or thermally damaged. Quickly absorbed, super light moisturizing conditioner and protective lotion.
- Dudley's Hair Rebuilder - Product Claims: Rebuilds badly damaged hair. This deep penetrating conditioner detangles, builds body, softens and reduces static.
- Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment - Product Claims: Our intensive weekly treatment deeply penetrates to help repair, seal and smooth even the most damaged hair. Using the power of pure plant oils and quinoa protein, it restores health, silkiness and shine. Helps strengthen hair weakened by chemical processes, heat styling and environmental exposure. Quinoa protein penetrates the hair shaft, working from inside to help strengthen and repair. Castor, jojoba and meadowfoam seed oils smooth hair's surface.
- Goldwell Kerasilk Conditioning Treatment - Product Claims: Formulated with natural silk proteins and wheat lipids, the Kerasilk Rich Care formulas (formerly Care & Smoothness) gently cleanses and conditions damaged, dry, porous or curly hair. Rich Care Treatment, Goldwell's bestseller, now works even better, offering unsurpassed conditioning, strengthening and protects hair from future stress.
- Sebastian 2+1 Treatment - Product Claims: Hair, like the body, needs moisture and protein to stay healthy and conditioned. Sebastian invented 2+1 Treatment, an original recipe of 2 parts moisture and 1 part protein, to give the hair what it needs - deep intensive hydration, combined with the power of a protein pack. Normal or damaged hair feels conditioned, silky, moisturized and healthy. At Sebastian, 2+1 equals fabulous!
- Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream - Product Claims: This thick, rich formula leaves extra dry, coarse hair supple for days! Recommended #1for transitioning naturals by Clutch Magazine.
- Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream - Product Claims: Our Burdock Root Butter Cream is a light, water based leave-in for fine haired naturals, straight styles and those looking for a light penetrating moisturizer. It conditions and softens while nourishing the scalp. Leaves hair healthy, soft and supple!
- Keracare Super Reconstructor - Product Claims: extensively repairs weak, damaged hair due to shedding, breakage and severe cuticle and fiber degradation due to chemical, thermal, mechanical or sun damage. Penetrates deep within the cortex to fortify fractured, shredded fibers. Forms a fibrillar network around the hair shaft to lock in moisture. Restores natural porosity to hair.